- There are 12 CTUs (central trade unions) within the country
- Ten central trade unions on Friday gave an involve a nationwide strike on 22nd May to protest against the suspension of labour laws
- The ten central trade unions that delivered the joint statement are INTUC, AITUC, AIUTUC, TUCC, SEWA, AICCTU, LPF, HMS, CITU, and UTUC
- RSS-backed Bharatiya Mazdoor Sangh has also given an involve nationwide protest against labour laws suspension on 20th May 2020
- Some states during the lockdown period, and also decided to require the interest International Labour Organization (ILO)
“The joint stage of Central Trade Unions (CTUs) in their meeting continued 14th May, 2020 took note of the critical situation for the working people within the country during the lockdown period and decided to support united actions to satisfy the challenge,” a joint statement by 10 CTUs said.
The laws that are suspended include union Act, Industrial Disputes Act, Interstate Migrant Labour Act, Equal Remuneration Act, Maternity Benefit Act, Act on Occupational Safety and Health, Contract Labour Act etc…, it said.
The move came after 8 states– Gujarat, Himachal Pradesh, Haryana, Odisha, Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Bihar and Punjab — increased the daily working hours to 12 from 8 previous through executive order in destruction of the Factories Act, taking advantage of the lock down situation, they said.
- The central trade unions have also decided to send joint representation to ILO
- They said that suspension of labour laws disturbs international commitments on labour standards
- UP has suspended major labour laws
- 38 laws were made non-operational in UP for 1,000 days
- only section 5 of Payment of Wages Act 1934, Construction Workers Act 1996, Compensation Act 1993 and Attached Labour Act 1976 remain functional, it added
- Madhya Pradesh has pinched some rules among the lockdown
- As per media reports, Gujarat, Tripura and lots of other states are following uniform
- According to news report,Gujarat government has decided to extend working hours to 12 from 8 hours